Be it water scarcity, refugees or terrorism, the challenges facing the countries in West Asia and North Africa cannot be solved by one nation alone or even through bilateral solutions.
To give just a few examples:
- Terrorist groups like ISIS and Al Nusra operate across borders in multiple countries.
- Over 3 million people in Syria have been displaced as a result of the country’s civil war – these refugees have sought refugees in neighboring countries like Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan.
- Decreasing flows of the Yarmouk and Jordan Rivers will affect the people of Jordan, Israel and Palestine.
HRH Prince El Hassan bin Talal believes that the most pressing solutions facing West Asia and North Africa can only be solved by leveraging the carrying capacity of the entire region.
1. Read HRH’s article in the Huffington Post, “What the West can do if it’s really serious about Middle East Peace."
2. Learn more about the West Asia and North Africa forum.